I have moved my blog to a new address. Please update your bookmarks to:
http://jlp.holodeck1.com/blog/

2004-11-06

 

Learning C++ and Qt with Linux

I first tried to learn C++ programming a couple of years ago. Back then I was still using Windows and I tried programming with Borland C++Builder. I've also bought myself two books back then: C++ for Programmers and Borland C++Builder 4 Unleashed. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to learn a lot so I only know some simple basics. And I never tried to start learning again. Until now...

Since then my main operating system has become Linux (Gentoo Linux to be more specific). A few days ago I've read a news on dot.kde.org about a book C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3 becoming free for download (in PDF format). So I thought to myself that now would be a good time to start learning C++ again before I could learn programming with Qt, which is used to build KDE and apps for it. I also decided that it would be better to start learning with some book more suited for beginners. Teach yourself C++ in 21 days seams to be perfect for that and it is available online. Another great thing is that all the needed tools (compiler, development environment, debugger...) are already available for Linux and they are all free.

I hope I make it this time and learn enough to start contributing to KDE not only by translating but also by programming.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?