I have moved my blog to a new address. Please update your bookmarks to:
http://jlp.holodeck1.com/blog/

2005-03-31

 

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RTM

AMD64 LogoMicrosoft have finally finished their 64-bit Windows XP Professional x64 Edition for 64-bit processors like AMD Athlon 64. This version is now released to manufacturing (RTM) and the final build number is 1830. People who have MSDN subscription can already download it. Others will have to wait until the end of April. If all goes well you will be able to swap 32-bit Windows XP Pro for 64-bit x64 Edition for free. When I get the final version I will try to benchmark it against 32-bit version as soon as possible. I'm sure it will do even better now and I hope it will be easier to get more and higher quality 64-bit optimized software and drivers by then. You can check out the old benchmark of release candidate 2 in this post.


Comments:
I've just read your benchmarks and these are some very nice speedups for already very fast Athlon 64. Can't wait to get them here too :) I'm glad I haven't bought Pentium 4 a few months ago.

Anthony, Leeds, UK
 
I couldn't agree more, Anthony. AMD Athlon 64 is the best CPU you can buy right now. And with WinXP x64 it just got even better.
 
You are right, gentlemen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?